First undergraduate class of the College of Liberal Arts graduates.
1929 First journalism student graduates.
1930 First men’s dormitory opens (Hamilton House).
1933 Joseph M. M. Gray becomes sixth chancellor.
1934 School of Public Affairs is organized.
1937 Board of Trustees votes to admit black students, making AU one of the first universities in a segregated city to do so.
1941 Paul Douglass becomes AU’s seventh leader; title changes from chancellor to president.
1943 First university flag is introduced; featuring the Lodestar, it is designed by art department chair Charles Watkins.
AU celebrates 50th anniversary.
1946 AU acquires World War II WAVE barracks (Leonard Learning Center) from the United States War Department; building is later renamed Cassell Center.
1947 Radio station WAMC (WVAU-AM) is established.
1949 Washington College of Law merges with AU.
1952 Hurst Robins Anderson becomes AU’s eighth president.
1954 Radio and television building opens.
1955 AU’s new School of Business Administration, the first in the area, moves into McKinley.
1956 Yearbook is renamed the Talon.
The first Tompkins addition to Battelle is completed. School of Government and Public Administration is established.
School of International Service opens in its new building.
The Center for Technology and Administration is established.
1960 Asbury Building is completed.
1962 Watkins Art Building opens.
1963 First University Senate convenes.
1964 John Sherman Myers Law Building and second Tompkins addition to Battelle are completed.
1965 Kay Spiritual Life Center opens.
Lucy Webb Hayes School of Nursing and College of Continuing Education are established.
1966 Kreeger Music Building opens.
1967 Beeghly Chemistry Building opens.
1968 New Lecture Hall opens.
George H. Williams becomes AU’s ninth president.
Kennedy Political Union (KPU), a student-run lecture series, is established.
Catherine H. Sweeney donates a house on Nebraska Avenue for the president’s residence.
1969 School of Government and Public Administration moves into the new Ward Circle Building.
Downtown center closes.
1972 College of Public and International Affairs is established.
1973 Eagles’ basketball team is invited to National Invitational Tournament.
1975 School of Education is established.
Commuter plane hits WAMU radio tower and crashes into the backyard of AU president Williams’s residence on Nebraska Avenue.
1976 Joseph Sisco becomes AU’s 10th president.
Cooperative education program begins.
1977 American magazine is first published.
Jack and Dorothy Bender Library opens.
School of Business Administration is renamed Kogod College of Business Administration.
College of Public Affairs is renamed College of Public and International Affairs.
1980 Richard E. Berendzen becomes AU’s 11th president.
AU is selected as a host institution for Humphrey Fellows.
1981 New official university seal is adopted.
1982 New university logo is adopted.
1984 Center for Congressional and Presidential Studies establishes biannual Lobbying Institute.
Department of Communication becomes School of Communication under the College of Arts and Sciences.
1985 AU’s flag is redesigned.
Clendenen is razed.
1986 School of Communication establishes American Forum.
Abbey Joel Butler Pavilion opens.
AU purchases Immaculata School on Tenley Circle.
1988 Bender Arena opens.
College of Public and International Affairs is dissolved; School of Government and Public Administration is renamed School of Public Affairs.
School of International Service becomes independent.
1991 Joseph Duffey becomes 12th president.
Eric A. Friedheim Quadrangle is dedicated.
1993 School of Communication becomes independent.
1994 Benjamin Ladner becomes AU’s 13th president.
Washington Internships for Native Students (WINS) program is established.
1995 AU’s International Institute for Health Promotion hosts first annual Global Meeting.
1998 Center for Teaching Excellence (CTE) is established.
Ward Building classrooms renovated to feature the latest technology, including multimedia ports and video projectors.
1999 Experimental College is established.
Kogod College of Business Administration is renamed Kogod School of Business; it moves into its new home in the former Myers-Hutchins Building.
AU links with Peace Corps to offer new master’s degree.
Five-year international management agreement signed with American University of Sharjah (United Arab Emirates).
2000 AU leaves the Colonial Athletic Association and joins the Patriot League.
AU receives Easter Island statue (moai) as a gift from the Embassy of Chile.
2001 The Board of Trustees adopts President Ladner’s 15-point plan: “Ideas in Action, Action into Service.”
WAMU celebrates the station’s 40th anniversary.
AU Athletics snags two Patriot League Championships and automatic berths in the NCAA tournaments for men’s soccer and women’s volleyball.
2002 The Board of Trustees adopts the University Wage Policy.
AU creates Emergency Management Procedures Manual.
Battelle Building is renovated and becomes the new home of the College of Arts and Sciences.
World Capitals program celebrates its 20th anniversary.
Mary Graydon Center is renovated and now includes the Cyber Café.
WAMU 88.5 FM wins a 2002 D.C. Mayor’s Arts Award.
2003 Harold and Sylvia Greenberg Theatre opens.
The Katzen Arts Center project begins.
Bender Court is dedicated to Stafford H. "Pop" Cassell.
School of International Service celebrates the 45th anniversary of its founding.
AnewAU capital campaign launches, with goal of raising $200 million to improve facilities, academic programs, and infrastructure.
Standard & Poor’s and Moody’s give AU “A” ratings for financial health.
2004 AU becomes First T-Mobile HotSpot Campus.
Jack I. and Dorothy G. Bender Library and Learning Resources Center celebrates its 25th anniversary.
WAMU 88.5 FM receives a $250,000 bequest; largest gift in the station’s history.
Talk show host Diane Rehm celebrates 25 years at WAMU 88.5.
AU Athletics teams win six Patriot League championships.
Dedication of AU Arboretum.
2005 AU administration helps to open ABTI-American University of Nigeria.
Washington College of Law dedicates Pence Law Library in honor of Robert F. Pence, WCL/JD ’71, and Susan Pence.
The Abroad at AU program is launched.
University College, an integrated academic and living experience for freshmen, begins.
The Katzen Arts Center, housing AU’s visual and performing arts programs, opens.
Kay Spiritual Life Center celebrates its 40th anniversary.
Kogod School of Business celebrates 50 years of business education in the nation’s capital.
Cornelius Kerwin, SPA/BA ’71, becomes interim president.
2006 AU has a Truman scholar, Marshall scholar, seven Fulbright scholars, and two Rhodes finalists; 34 AU students are named Presidential Management Fellows, leading the nation for the second year in a row.
More than 15,000 admissions applications are received—an all-time high.
The AU Museum, housed in the Katzen Arts Center, hosts 18,000 visitors its first year.
AU is designated a 2006 Truman Foundation Honor Institution, along with Emory University and MIT, for its support of students interested in public service careers.
AU Abroad sites are expanded to include enclave and summer immersion programs.
AU advises and assists ABTI/American University of Nigeria on acceptance of its first class of students.
Cornelius Kerwin, SPA/BA ’71, becomes AU’s 14th president.
Construction on an expansion to the Kogod building begins.
AU assists the Brookings International Volunteer Initiative in a project designed to double the number of U.S. volunteers working abroad.
The AnewAU capital campaign ends the 06–07 fiscal year at $140 million toward the $200 million goal.
Athletics director Keith Gill joins AU after stints at the University of Oklahoma and the NCAA.
The endowment reaches $378 million.
AU joins 300 universities worldwide in signing the Talloires Declaration, a pledge to promote environmental sustainability in its operations, policies, and courses.
AU begins the first phase of its Web redesign project.
WAMU 88.5 has more than 575,900 listeners and is the leading public radio station for NPR news and information in the local area.
SIS celebrates its 50th anniversary.
Construction begins on new SIS building.
Board of Trustees approves new strategic plan, “American University and the Next Decade: Leadership for a Changing World."
Men's Basketball Team invited to first round of NCAA Tournament for the first time.
New Web 2.0 site is launched.
Kogod Building expansion is completed.
SPA celebrates its 75th anniversary.
SIS building opens. It is AU's first LEED-Gold Certified building.