Transfer Application Checklist
Complete the Common Application in its entirety (including the application essay).
Send us your transcripts. Official transcript(s) or mark sheets enclosed in a sealed envelope from all colleges or universities attended should be sent to AU. Make sure that your full legal name and date of birth are on the transcripts.
Pay the application fee. Using a credit card or e-check, pay the nonrefundable $70 application fee required for all applications. If payment of the application fee would cause your family undue hardship, fee waivers are available (U.S. citizens and permanent residents only).
Submit the College Report. Please have a college official from your current or most recent institution complete the College Report, which is required of all transfer students. This form ensures that you are in good academic standing at your current or most recent institution. You can access the form the through the Common Application:
1. Under the American University sidebar on left side of the screen, click the "Recommenders and FERPA" tab
2. Click on the College Report to get a PDF
3. Download the form
4. Submit the form to the Registrar/College Official and have them mail the completed form directly to American University.
Interruption of study. If you have been out of school for a semester or longer, excluding summers and school-designated breaks, you must provide us with a statement describing your activities during the period(s) you were out of school. You may submit a resume instead of a statement if the resume explains the interruption.
Send your application materials. Send all supporting documents to the following address:
4400 Massachusetts Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20016-8001
One letter of recommendation is optional for transfer students. You can select and assign at least one Academic Evaluator within the Common Application. If you request recommendations outside of the Common Application, they should appear on official letterhead and include your full name and Social Security number (or date of birth) and be sent directly to American University.
Transfer Students with Less Than 24 Semester Hours
High school transcript. It is required to have your high school send AU an official copy of your final high school transcript.
Minimum Admissions Requirements
Students who wish to be considered for transfer admission must be in good academic and social standing at all previously attended schools.
Competitive transfer applicants have a GPA of at least 2.5/4.0 at their current institution. The following AU academic units have specific minimum GPA requirements:
- College of Arts and Sciences: 2.00
- Kogod School of Business: 2.75
- School of Communication: 2.50
- School of Education: 2.70
- School of International Service: 3.00
- School of Public Affairs: 2.50
Please note: If a student is admissible to AU but does not meet the GPA requirement for their desired AU school or college, we will consider the student's application for admission to the College of Arts and Sciences as an undecided major.
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) - TOEFL code 5007
- Internet based test (iBT) score of 80 or higher. Sub-scores for each section of the TOEFL should be 20 or higher. To be considered competitive, a 90 iBT score or above is recommended.
- Paper-based test score of 550 or higher.
- IELTS (International English Language Testing System): Composite score of 6.5 or higher. Sub-scores for each section of the IELTS should be 6.0 or higher.
- Pearson Test of English (PTE): Score of 53 or higher.
- SAT Critical Reading score of 530 or higher (taken before 3/1/2016), or SAT Reading Test sub-score of 29 or higher (taken after 3/1/2016)
- ACT English score of 23 or higher
When Will I Hear?
Your application will be reviewed only after your file is complete. You will be notified in writing of missing documents, but you should also check your application status through the Prospective Student Portal. You will be notified of your admission decision on a rolling basis approximately four to six weeks after all admission materials have been received. Notification of your financial aid award (if applicable) will be sent at a later date.