The AU Arts Management Program, in collaboration with Strathmore, offers a prestigious merit-based award to full-time incoming or rising 2nd year graduate students in the Arts Management Program. MA candidates receive a scholarship for a designated number of academic credits plus a stipend and an opportunity to pursue professional projects at Strathmore, a major arts center located in the DC area.
Strathmore's mission is to present and produce exemplary visual and performing arts programs for diverse audiences; create dynamic arts education experiences; and nurture creative ideas and conversations that advance the future of the arts.
Best known for presenting world-class performances in the 1,976-seat acoustically-superb Concert Hall of the Music Center, Strathmore hosts more than 400 programs every year on its 11-acre campus, including concerts, art exhibitions, lectures, classes, festivals, and summer camps. Hallmarks of Strathmore include high quality arts programming designed for audiences of many tastes, served with the hospitality and warmth of a family enterprise. Events and performances span genres and reach out to people of all ages, interests, and cultural heritage.
Strathmore is looking for a graduate fellow with:
- Excellent attention to detail, written and oral communication, customer service, organizational and time-management skills;
- Strong interpersonal and relationship-building skills;
- Experience with general office administrative duties;
- Willingness to work some evenings and weekends to accommodate events and performances;
- Must be available to work Strathmore's Fall Fundraiser
Membership - 75%
- Process, print and mail weekly member acknowledgement letters;
- Manage the first and second renewal process for members;
- Provide exceptional customer service to all members by serving as the first point of contact on the dedicated membership phone line as well as answering email inquiries;
- Assist in writing annual appeals, membership renewal and acknowledgement letters;
- Prepare Strathmore Welcome Packs for new members;
- Develop member engagement materials such as Notes on Seats and other Surprise and Delight opportunities.
Events - 10%
- Serve as the event lead on one Strathmore member event by overseeing planning, production details and guest list;
- Assist the development team with planning as well as attending several events, including but not limited to: Fall Fundraiser, Gala, member-only concerts and events, artist meet and greets and more.
Grants - 5%
- Assist in writing, editing, and submitting grants;
- Gather supplemental materials for submission with grants from various departments;
- Conduct prospect research on individuals and organizations.
Database Operations: Tessitura - 5%
- Clean donor records for correct and consistent information;
- Maintain integrity of donor information;
- Participate in trainings and webinars as needed.
Administrative - 5%
- Support the development team with administrative tasks as needed such as stuffing envelopes, filing, etc.;
- Other duties as assigned.
US citizenship or permanent residence is required. The Fellow must be enrolled full-time in the arts management master's program at American University and meet the requirements of a Merit Awardee at American University.
During the academic year, the Strathmore Fellow will work 20 hours/week at Strathmore (summer hours are handled separately). The Fellow is awarded a $15,000 stipend and 6 credits of tuition remission per academic year.