Spanish Studies (BA)
Students must be approved by the department for formal admission to the major. Language coursework may be waived if high school or other preparation warrants it. Placement will be made in consultation with a departmental advisor.
- 120 credit hours with a cumulative GPA of 2.00 or better
- Completion of college writing requirement
- Completion of university mathematics requirement
General Education Requirements
- A total of ten courses, consisting of two courses from each of the five foundational areas
- At least one course from Area Five: The Natural and Mathematical Sciences must include a laboratory science component
- No more than two courses may be taken in the same discipline
- 39 credit hours with grades of C or better.
- Prerequisite: completion of intermediate language level.
- One of the following field concentrations:
- 12 credit hours in a second foreign language at any level.
- 12 credit hours in area studies in the major field at the 300-level or above.
- Teacher education leading to certification to teach a foreign language at the secondary level.
- An approved minor related to the major field; for example, another language, business administration, communication, economics, political science, history, sociology, literature, anthropology, or international studies.
Required (17-21 credit hours)
- SPAN-352 Advanced Spanish I: Spain in Context (3) (may be replaced by other 300- or 500-level course if warranted by language proficiency)
- SPAN-353 Advanced Spanish II: Latin America in Context (3) (may be replaced by other 300- or 500-level course if warranted by language proficiency)
- SPAN-357 Introduction to Latin American Literature (3)
- SPAN-450 Spanish Civilization I: Spain (3)
- SPAN-491 Internship: Spanish: Proyecto Amistad (1-6) (2-6 credit hours required)
- 3 credit hours of Latin American culture and society coursework as approved by advisor
Linguistics (3 credit hours)
Complete one of the following:
- ANTH-225 Language and Human Experience FA1 (3)
- ANTH-254 Language and Culture (3)
- SPAN-456 Spanish Topics (3) (approved topic)
- SPAN-461 Introduction to Spanish Linguistics (3)
- TESL-4xx course as approved by advisor
Senior Capstone (3 credit hours)
- 3 credit hours of approved coursework at the 400-level or above
Electives (12-16 credit hours)
- Remaining credit hours chosen from Spanish topics, colloquium, and literature courses
Combined Bachelor's and Master's Degrees
American University offers students the opportunity to earn both undergraduate and graduate degrees through its combined bachelor's/master's programs. See Combined Bachelor's and Master's Degrees for more information.