Safe Mail Handling – General Tips
• Never accept mail or package deliveries from unknown persons who can not provide proper identification and proof of employment by delivery organization.
• Wash your hands with soap and water (for at least 30 seconds) after handling the mail.
• Be alert and report any mail and packages left unattended.
Suspicious Mail “Red Flags”
• Excessive postage, using postage stamps as opposed to meter indicia
• Address is poorly typed or handwritten, has misspellings
• Oily stains, crystallization on wrapper or strange odors
• No return address
• Exceptionally large, lopsided, rigid, bulky or discolored
• Sloshing sounds or indication of containing liquid
• Evidence of electrical wire or tin foil
• Excessive wrapping materials, such as masking tape, strapping tape, or string
What to Do…
• Do not smell, touch, or move the substance, letter, or package.
• Immediately wash your hands with soap and water for at least 30 seconds.
• Notify your manager and advise coworkers to stay away from your work area.
• Call Public Safety at x3636.
• Turn off any circulating fans, air conditioners, or heaters (if applicable).
• Ensure that all persons who have touched the substance wash their hands with soap and water.
• List all persons who have touched the substance, letter, or package.