VOLUME: 4 linear feet
ACCESS: This collection is open to the public upon request
COPYRIGHT: Please consult the archivist for information about duplication or publishing of any materials from this collection.
The A.K. Rice Institute, a national educational institution, was founded in 1969 by Margaret Rioch for the purpose of furthering the work and ideals of the Institute’s namesake, A. Kenneth Rice. A.K. Rice is best known for his work with the Tavistock Institute of Human Relations in London, England. The ideas of the Institute originated in 1965 when Rioch collaborated with Rice to organize the first group relations conference to be held in North America.
The Institute’s original mission was to explore what events and processes produced non-rational behavior in social groups and relations. Today the Institute’s mission has broadened. It wishes to reach out to a diverse audience and explore the different ways in which groups interact. The Institute continues to hold conferences and hopes to promote further discussions and research on social interaction.
Scope and Content Note
The files of the A.K. Rice Institute include board meeting minutes, calendars of events, membership directories, national conference brochures, scientific meetings programs, newsletters, basic information on founders and contributors to the Institution and publications. The collection is divided into thee boxes: Minutes, Other Documents, and Publications.
The A.K. Rice Institute donated their records to American University Library in 2007
Box & Folder Listing
- Minutes 1967-1974
- Minutes 1975-1979
- Minutes 1980-1984
- Minutes 1985-1986
- Minutes 1987
- Minutes 1988
- Minutes 1989
- Minutes 1991
- Minutes 1992
- Minutes 1993
- Minutes 1994 (2 folders)
- Minutes 1995
- Minutes 1996
- Minutes 1997
- Minutes 1998
- Minutes 1999 (2 folders)
- Minutes 2000 (2 folders)
- Minutes 2001
- Minutes 2002 (2 folders)
- Minutes 2003
- Minutes 2004 (2 folders)
- Minutes 2005
- Minutes 2006
- Calendar of Events – 1978
- Calendar of Events – 1980
- Calendar of Events – 1984
- Calendar of Events – 1985
- Calendar of Events – 1986
- Calendar of Events – 1987
- Calendar of Events – 1988
- Calendar of Events – 1989
- Calendar of Events – 1990
- Calendar of Events – 1991
- Calendar of Events – 1992
- Calendar of Events – 1993
- Calendar of Events – 1994
- Calendar of Events – 1995
- Calendar of Events – 1996
- Calendar of Events – 1997
- Calendar of Events – 1998
- Calendar of Events – 1999
- Calendar of Events – 2000
- Calendar of Events – 2001
- Calendar of Events – 2002
- Calendar of Events – 2003
- Calendar of Events – 2004
- Calendar of Events – 2005
- Calendar of Events – 2006
- AKRI Membership Directories 1982-1997
- AKRI Membership Directories 1998-2006
- AKRI National Conference Brochures 1966-1979
- AKRI National Conference Brochures 1981-2007
- List of all AKRI Scientific Meetings 1976-2006
- 1976 (Minneapolis) Scientific Meeting
- 1977 (D.C.) Scientific Meeting
- Scientific Meetings 1978
- 1979 (Houston) Scientific Meeting
- 1981 (D.C.) Scientific Meeting
- 1983 (San Francisco) Scientific Meeting
- 1985 (WBC) Scientific Meeting
- 1987 Scientific Meeting Brochure
- 1989 Scientific Meeting Brochure
- 1991 (St Louis) Scientific Meeting
- 1993 (LA) Scientific Meeting
- 1995 (D.C.) Scientific Meeting Brochure
- 1997 (Houston) Biennial Meeting
- 2000 AKRI Membership Meeting
- 2003 (Boston) Scientific Meeting
- 2006 AKRI Forum
- AKRI Early Newsletters 1968-1971 (by Margaret Rioch, Founder)
- AKRI Newsletter 1993-2005
- Wilfred R. Bion
- A. Kenneth Rice (including pix)
- Margaret Rioch Obituary & Letter to AKRI Members 12/2/96
- K. West, Leroy Wells Jr., Wm. Harris, Gabriel Manasse
- Rhetaugh Dumas
- Fellows of AKRI 1978-2006
- List of Presidents & N/C Directors
- AKRI Journal
- Journal of Personality and Social Systems Volume 1, Number 1 – Volume 2, Number 2-3 (1977-1980)
- AKRI Reader Series
- Group Relations Reader 1 (1975) - Colman, Arthur D. and Harold Bexton, eds.
- Group Relations Reader 2 (1985) - Colman, Arthur D. and Marvin H. Geller, eds.
- Group Dynamics, Organizational Irrationality, and Social Complexity: Group Relations Reader 3 (2004) - Cytrynbaum, Solomon and Debra A. Noumair, eds.
- Conference Proceedings
- Irrationality in Social Organization Life -Proceedings of the 8th AKRI Scientific Meeting, (1987) - Krantz, James, ed.
- Contributions to Social and Political Science - Proceedings of First International Symposium on Group Relations (1988) - Gabelnick, Faith and A. Wesley Carr, eds.
- Changing Group Relations: The Next 25 Years in America - Proceedings of the 9th AKRI Scientific Meeting (1989) - Hugg, Terry W., Neill M. Carson, and Robert M. Lipgar, eds.
- Transformations in Global and Organizational Systems: Changing Boundaries in the 90s Proceedings of the 10th AKRI Scientific Meeting (1991) - Cytrynbaum, Solomon and Susan A. Lee, eds.
- Chaos or Community - Proceedings of the 11th AKRI Scientific Meeting (1993) West, Kathryn L., Charla Hayden, and Ronald M. Sharrin, eds.
- Leadership as Legacy: Transformation at the Turn of the Millennium - Proceedings of the 12th AKRI Scientific Meeting (1995) - Estabrook, Leigh S., ed.
- Taking Stock: Society and its Institutions at the Close of the 20TH Century - Proceedings of the 13th AKRI Scientific Meeting (1997)
- Other Publications
- Bibliography of Members Work (1990)
- The Tavistock Primer II (2002) - Hayden, Charla and René Molenkamp