Semester and Day-Use Lockers
Did you know that the American University Library has lockers available for semester check-out at the Borrowing Desk? They are conveniently located on the Lower Level (LL), 1st, 2nd and 3rd floors of the library, as well as in the hallway between the Graduate Research Center (GRC) and the SIS building. And, these lockers are absolutely free!
Lockers are available to any current American University undergraduate or graduate student. Undergrads can use lockers on the Lower Level (LL), 1st, 2nd and 3rd floors of the library. Grads, in addition, can check out lockers outside the GRC.
Lockers are available on a first-come-first-serve basis Monday morning at 8am at the start of each semester. Due to limited amounts, some lockers (like those outside the GRC) are checked out very quickly—often the same day.
These lockers can be held for a full semester. Approximately a week before the keys are due, an email will be sent out with the option for renewal. You are welcome to renew a locker between the Fall and Spring semesters and the Spring and Summer semesters.
Lockers must be returned at the end of the Summer semester for processing, cleaning, and maintenance before redistribution for the Fall.
For those who do not obtain a semester locker in time, or are looking for something more temporary, the library also offers day-use lockers that students can check out at the Borrowing Desk. These are due back the next night before closing and can be renewed three times by phone or in person.
Any student can check out one of the day-use locker behind the printers, but graduate students also have the option of checking out the ones inside the GRC.
Terms and Conditions
- Personal property may be kept in the locker at my own risk.
- Library books must be checked-out (borrowed) before being kept in the locker.
- Reference books and other in-library use books may not be kept in the locker.
- Foods, liquids, and perishable or hazardous items may not be kept in the locker.
- All materials must be removed from the locker by the date the key is due. Any remaining personal materials will be discarded.
- Any lock other than the one issued by the Library will be removed and discarded.
- A library staff member, in an official capacity, will perform locker inspections regularly to ensure that these conditions are observed.
- Any violation of this agreement may result in the emptying of the locker and suspension of locker privileges.
Link Icon Helpful Links
Cash Icon Fines and Fees
If the key is not returned by the due date, an overdue fine of $1.00 per day, up to $25.00, will be charged.
A $5.00 fee will be charged if the tag or key-ring is not returned with the key. If the key tag breaks over the course of the semester please come to the Borrowing Desk for a replacement tag. If the key is lost, a $25.00 fee will be charged for replacement.