Skip to main content

Title IX

Criminal Procedures

See the most recent Department of Public Safety Annual Security Report


Public Safety provides the following information to students.

Individuals should report sex-related offenses and incidents of domestic violence, dating violence, sexual assault, and stalking to Public Safety as soon as possible. Public Safety will help you file a university incident report and assign a female or male officer, as requested, to handle the initial interview. You will have the option of contacting MPD when you report the incident to Public Safety. It is important to preserve evidence as proof of a criminal offense and for obtaining a protection order. We will honor and respect your decision to pursue or not to pursue some course of criminal or civil action. If you so choose, Public Safety can assist with obtaining a rape kit and provide support as you work with the MPD Sex Crimes Unit.

When a university employee reports an incident involving sexual assault, domestic violence, dating violence, or stalking to the Department of Public Safety, the employee is provided with information about services, including the Employee Assistance Program, Employee Relations, protective orders, and victim assistance programs.

The Department of Public Safety has the option to bar non-affiliates from all AU property, when they are respondents in an allegation involving sexual assault, domestic violence, dating violence, or stalking.

Public Safety resources are available regardless of whether the victim decides to pursue criminal charges.

In addition to filing a report with Public Safety, you may also file an internal university complaint pursuant to the university’s Discrimination and Sexual Harassment Policy [See Title IX Contacts].

Once a complaint has been reported, and until the resolution of the matter, the university may take interim measures to ensure safety and non-retaliation for all parties. Examples of interim measures include separation of the parties, no-contact directives, and alternative academic or housing arrangements.