Open room change for spring 2018 information will be posted in the coming weeks.
Open Room Change
What is Room Change?
Any student who wishes to change rooms will need to submit a room change request on the AU Housing Portal.
Students can request a change to a specific building, a specific room, or a request to swap rooms with another student. In the case of a room swap, both students moving will have to submit the application in order for the swap to be approved. Be sure to review the academic year housing rates.
For room changes between the fall and spring semesters, read about the fall to spring room change process.
Room Change Process
Room Change Dates
- Application opens on the AU Housing Portal at 12 p.m. noon on Monday, September 11 and closes at 5 p.m. on Tuesday, September 26.
Room Change Steps
- All students are required to meet with their community director for room change approvals.
- Room change offers are sent on each Wednesday after 4 p.m. after the student has met with their community director.
- Students have until 12 p.m. noon on Thursday to accept or decline the offer.
- Example: If you submit your application on Thursday, and you meet with your community director the following Monday; you will receive an e-mail on that Wednesday with your room offer. You will need to reply by noon on Thursday in order to move at 5 p.m. on Friday.
- Students will only be allowed to move starting at 5 p.m. each Friday.
- Room changes will be offered on a first come, first served basis dependent on space availability.
Moving to East Campus
- Sophomore students not currently living on East Campus will have an opportunity to express interest in possibly moving to EC.
- Preference will be given to those students who were originally on the East Campus waitlist from the spring 2017 semester.
- Transfer students are eligible to reside on East Campus.
- Vacancies are limited and we may not be able to honor all room change requests.
Frequently Asked Questions
Students with a vacancy may receive a roommate at any time during the room change process. Students who are assigned a new roommate will be notified no fewer than 24 hours prior to the student moving in to the room.
We will not force students into single rooms or charge for a vacancy within a room. Our office, however, may assign a new roommate anytime, including after the room change period.
The student who is moving will need to complete the room change and indicate the specific room they are requesting to move into. This will be discussed with their community director during the required meeting.
Roommate requests from a triple room to a double room will not be honored for first year students. The room change process will not be used as a means to de-triple.
Yes. LLC students may switch rooms within their program. Students cannot request to move to a different building, floor, or wing not associated with their community. Students also may not request to move from a temporary triple to a double room.
Students in the Washington Semester Program (WSP) and the English Language and Training Academy (ELTA), or Washington Mentorship Program (WMP) are eligible to change rooms within their program.
In order to complete a room swap, both students wishing to change rooms must complete the room change application and indicate the specific room in which they wish to move.
Your billing will be prorated to reflect the cost difference for each room. This will cause either an increase or decrease in housing costs.
Example: if you moved from a double to a single, you will be charged for the number of days you were in the double and your cost will be adjusted to reflect the remainder of the semester in a single.
Yes. You can request a single room, however single rooms are very limited and are often full for the entire academic year. We can only offer single rooms on a first come first served basis as space is available. The majority of students requesting singles will not be able to receive an offer.
If you are in a double with a vacancy, you cannot opt to keep your room as a single. If you have a specific accommodation need for a single room, please reach out to Academic Support & Access Center for details on how to request a room accommodation.
If you are in a temporary triple, you can request a room change; however, you will only be eligible to move into another temporary triple. Students will not be able to de-triple through the room change process.