Skip to main content


Int'l Student / Scholar Svcs
Fax: 202-885-3354
Butler Pavilion, Room 410

ISSS office walk-in advising hours: Mondays: 12:00 noon - 5:00 p.m. Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, Fridays: 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.

Bakar, Senem S
Director, International Student & Scholar Services

Int'l Student / Scholar Svcs
4400 Massachusetts Avenue NW
410 Butler Pavilion
Washington, DC, USA 20016-8041

Changing Academic Level of Study

This information is for those individuals who are changing from one level of study to another at American University (i.e. Bachelor's to Master's degree, Master's to Doctoral degree).

To change your level of study, follow the procedure outlined below

Present the items together in the order given. Keep a photocopy of each item for your records.

  1. Gain acceptance to an academic program that is a different level from your current program (i.e. Master's to Doctoral).
  2. Submit proof of financial support (bank statement, scholarship letter, affidavit of support, etc.) to ISSS.
  3. Bring current I-20 from American University to ISSS to be copied.

ISSS will issue an I-20 with a new level of study approximately two weeks after you submit the items above.

After you register full-time for classes and check-in through iEagle, ISSS will issue a “continued attendance” I-20 and contact you for pick up. Please note that the change of level process is not complete until you have received a “continued attendance” I-20.

If you are traveling, please notify the front desk staff so your I-20 can be issued as you should travel with the change of level I-20.