Department of Biology
- I am interested in molecular evolution and empirical population genetics. A major research focus of my lab is the functional significance of genetic variation in protein-coding genes, with a particular emphasis on synonymous variation, as it may impact translational accuracy and/or efficiency, as well as mRNA splicing and stability. Current projects in my lab include: 1) experimental alteration of codon bias in bacterial antibiotic resistance genes, 2) analysis of codon usage in hemimetabolous and holometabolous insect genomes, and 3) transcriptome profiling of cave and surface populations of the freshwater amphipod Gammarus minus, with an aim toward identifying and characterizing patterns of variation in differentially regulated genes.
DegreesPhD, College of William and Mary
MS, Florida Institute of Technology
BA, University of California, Santa Barbara
Scholarly, Creative & Professional Activities
- Molecular evolution, population genetics, & molecular systematics.
- Carlini DB and Makowski M. 2015. Codon bias and gene ontology in holometabolous and hemimetabolous insects. J Exp Zool B Mol Dev Evol. doi: 10.1002/jez.b.22647.
- Carlini DB, Satish S, and Fong DW. 2013. Parallel reduction in expression, but no loss of functional constraint, in two opsin paralogs within cave populations of Gammarus minus (Crustacea: Amphipoda). BMC Evol Biol. 13:89. doi: 10.1186/1471-2148-13-89.
- Aspiras AR, Prasad R, Fong DW, Carlini DB, and Angelini D. 2012. Parallel reduction in expression of the eye development gene hedgehog in separately derived populations of the amphipod Gammarus minus. J Evol Biol 25:995-1001.
- Hense W, Anderson N, Hutter S, Stephan W, Parsch J, and Carlini DB. 2010. Experimentally increased codon bias in the Drosophila Adh gene leads to an increase in larval, but not adult, alcohol dehydrogenase activity. Genetics 184:547-555.
- Hutchins B, Fong DW, and Carlini DB. 2010. Genetic population structure of the Madison Cave isopod, Antrolana lira (Flabellifera; Cirolanidae) in the Shenandoah Valley of the eastern United States. J Crust Biol 30:312-322.
- Carlini DB, Manning J, Sullivan PG, and Fong DW. 2009. Molecular genetic variation and population structure in morphologically differentiated cave and surface populations of the freshwater amphipod Gammarus minus. Mol Ecol 18:1932-1945.