Russian Citizenship: From Empire to Soviet Union. Cambridge: Harvard University Press, October 2012.
Empire and Nationalism at War: The Russian Empire in WWI (Lead editor with Alexander Semyonov and Vera Tolz) (Bloomington: Slavica, November 2014).
- Nationalizing the Russian Empire: The Campaign Against Enemy Aliens during World War I, Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 2003.
“Economic Nationalism, Confiscation, and Genocide: A Comparison of the Ottoman and Russian Empires during World War I,” with co-author Uğur Ümit Üngör, Journal of Modern European History 12, no. 4 (November 2014): 500-522.
“Russian Citizenship and Migration in Historical Perspective,” Problems of Post-Communism 60, no. 6 (November – December 2013): 3-15.
“Introduction: Grigorii Nikolaevich Trubetskoi’s Career and Background” for the English language edition of Russian Diplomacy and War in the Balkans: Notes of a Tactful Diplomat (1914-1917) (Dekalb: Northern Illinois University Press, forthcoming 2015).
“War Nationalism” in Eric Lohr, Alexander Semyonov, and Vera Tolz, eds., Empire and Nationalism at War: The Russian Empire in WWI (Bloomington: Slavica, 2014), 91-108.
- The Military and Society in Russian History, 1450-1917 (co-edited with Marshall Poe). Leiden, The Netherlands: Brill Academic Publishers, 2002.
- The Papers of Grigorii Nikolaevich Trubetskoi (edited and wrote introduction and inventory). Published on-line by the Hoover Institution, Stanford University, on the Online Archive of California, 2006.
- “The Ideal Citizen and Real Subject in Late Imperial Russia,” Kritika: Explorations in Russian and Eurasian History 7, no. 2 (Spring 2006): 173-194.
- “The Papers of Grigorii N. Trubetskoi: A new source publication for the study of diplomacy, Orthodoxy, and liberalism, 1900-1931,” Cahiers du Monde russe 46, 4 (October-December 2005): 851-854.
- “Russian Economic Nationalism during World War I: Moscow Merchants and Commercial Diasporas,” Nationalities Papers 31, no. 4 (December 2003): 471-484.
- “Novye dokumenty o Rossiiskoi Armii i evreiakh vo vremena Pervoi mirovoi voiny,” Vestnik evreiskogo universiteta, no. 8 (26) (Moscow, 2003): 245-268.
- “Patriotic Violence and the State: The Moscow Riots of 1915” Kritika: Explorations in Russian and Eurasian History 4, no. 3 (Summer 2003): 607-626.
- "The Russian Army and the Jews: Mass Deportation, Hostages and Violence during World War I,” The Russian Review (July 2001): 404-419.
- "Arkady Volsky's Political Base," Europe-Asia Studies 45, no. 5 (1993): 811-829.