Spend your summer interning or join an experiential program abroad
SIS organizes a number of short-term, experiential programs abroad as well as internships abroad each summer. Some programs are faculty-led and others are courses offered at partner institutions abroad where students will be directly enrolled. Program locations change each summer to reflect the needs and interests of the SIS student population. The detailed curricula of the programs make them ideal for students who wish to concentrate on a specific region or topic area. Each one offers ample opportunity to interact with local and regional leaders, conduct field research, and engage in challenging internship positions.
How the programs work
- Students may apply for their program of choice (all programs are competitive and application does not guarantee admission). Some internship programs also require an application.
- Students are registered for the respective course by SIS OIP for the summer term.
- Students pay AU tuition and are billed directly through Student Accounts. Financial aid packages can apply.
- Some programs include a mandatory program fee. Students can learn about whether or not such a fee exists on each program's respective web page.
- Summer programs may include (at no additional cost to the student) supplemental international emergency health insurance, accommodation, ground transportation, some meals, site visits and field trips, and internship placement (if applicable). Program specific websites will list any expenses in greater detail.
- Students are typically responsible for their own airfare, visas (if applicable), supplies, most meals, and other personal living expenses while on the program.
- Status as a graduate student at American University. Non-AU graduate students may only apply to select programs (see program specific pages for eligibility).
- Good academic and university standing.
- Approved plan of study. As part of the application process, students should meet with their academic advisors to get approval for the courses they plan to take.
Note: Each program will have additional eligibility requirements listed on its respective website. Please adhere to the specific eligibility requirements before submitting an application.