How to Apply
1. If you have not previously applied for your VA education benefits, please do the following:
- Visit the VA website to select the program that best suits your needs.
- Complete the Veterans Online Application (VONAPP).
Note: The VA application process can be done concurrently with the AU application.
2. Apply to American University
- Send us your transcripts. Official transcript(s) or mark sheets enclosed in a sealed envelope from all colleges or universities attended should be sent to AU. Make sure that your full legal name and Social Security number (or date of birth) are on the transcripts.
- Pay the application fee. Using a credit card or e-check, pay the nonrefundable $70 application fee required for all applications. If the payment of the application would cause your family undue hardship, fee waivers are available (U.S. citizens and permanent residents only).
- Send your application materials. Send all supporting documents to the following address: American University, Undergraduate Admissions, 4400 Massachusetts Avenue, NW, Washington, D.C. 20016-8001.
- Letters of recommendation for transfer students are strongly recommended but not required. Recommendations should appear on official letterhead and include your full name and Social Security number (or date of birth) and be sent directly to American University.
- Interruption of study. If you have been out of school for a semester or longer, excluding summers and school-designated breaks, you must provide us with a statement describing your activities during the period(s) you were out of school. You may submit a resume instead of a statement if the resume explains the interruption.
Transfer Students with Less Than 24 Semester Hours
- High school transcript. Have your high school send AU an official copy of your final high school transcript.
Minimum Admissions Requirements
Students who we wish to be considered for transfer admission must be in good academic standing and social standing at all previously attended schools.
Competitive transfer applicants have a GPA of at least 2.5/4.0 at their current institution. The following AU academic units have specific minimum GPA requirements:
- Kogod School of Business: 2.5
- School of Communication:2.5
- School of Education: 2.7
- School of International Service: 3.0
- School of Public Affairs
If English is not your first language (regardless of citizenship), please send proof of English proficiency (TOEFL, or SAT or ACT with writing of IELTS).
When Will I Hear?
Your application will be reviewed only after your file is complete. You will be notified in writing of missing documents, but you should also check your application status through the Prospective Student Portal. You will be notified of your admission decision on a rolling basis approximately four to six weeks after all admissions materials have been received. Notification of any Phi Theta Kappa or other scholarship and/or financial aid award will be sent at a later date.
3. Financing your education
4. Credit for military service
- American University accepts up to 30 hours of military service as long as it is applicable to a Liberal Arts degree.
- Military Credit Guidelines
5. Check application status
- Check the status of your application on the prospective student portal to ensure the admissions office has received all required documents.
- If accepted, refer to the Additional Veteran Resources for more information on how to proceed.