Asian Studies (Graduate Certificate)
Admission to the Program
Open to students with a bachelor's degree or equivalent from an accredited institution.
- 15 credit hours of approved coursework, with at least 6 credit hours at the 600-level or above, with grades of C or better. Grades of C- or D in certificate program courses will not be accepted toward the fulfillment of certificate requirements, although these grades will be included in the calculation of the cumulative grade point average. Students must have at least a 3.0 grade point average in certificate courses in order to be awarded a certificate. Students in certificate programs must take a minimum of 6 credit hours during each 12-month period after they are admitted. International students must enroll in 9 credit hours each semester. All programs must be completed within four years. A maximum of 3 credit hours earned at an accredited college or university may be applied toward the certificate as transfer credit.
- Capstone: successful completion of a 3 credit-hour Asian studies research project conducted under the supervision of an Asian studies faculty member. A Substantial Research Paper (SRP) or graduate independent study may be used to fulfill this requirement.
- Students must complete the Graduate Tool of Research Language Exam.
Gateway Requirement (3 credit hours)
Complete one of the following:
- HIST-647 Asian Studies (3) (3) (topics)
- PHIL-613 Studies in Asian Philosophy (3) (3) (topics)
- SIS-567 International Relations of East Asia (3) (3)
Concentration (9 credit hours)
Complete 9 credit hours from the following with at least one course from a department other than the one in which the student has a primary focus:
- HIST-647 Asian Studies (3) (3) (topics) (if not used for Gateway requirement above)
- PHIL-613 Studies in Asian Philosophy (3) (3) (topics) (if not used for Gateway requirement above)
- RELG-670 Islam (3) (3)
- RELG-673 Hinduism (3) (3)
- SIS-561 Modern China (3) (3)
- SIS-565 U.S. Economic Relations with Japan and China (3) (3)
- SIS-567 International Relations of East Asia (3) (3) (if not used for Gateway requirement above)
- SIS-676 Selected Topics in Cross-National Studies (3) (3) (approved topic)
Capstone (3 credit hours)
- 3 credit hours in an approved capstone project course