- Additional Positions at AU
- Policy Analyst at Arab Center Washington DC
- Ph.D. University of Connecticut; M.A. University of Connecticut; M.A. Bilkent University; B.A. Bilkent University
- Book Currently Reading
- Wael Hallaq, Impossible State: Islam, Politics, and Modernity's Moral Predicament
- Mustafa Gurbuz is a political sociologist whose research focuses on political violence and terrorism, conflict resolution, social movements, Muslims in the West, and ethnic/sectarian politics in the Middle East. His publications appeared in Sociological Inquiry, Sociological Forum, Middle East Critique, Journal of Muslim Minority Affairs, European Journal of Turkish Studies, and Research in Social Movements, Conflict, and Change. Dr. Gurbuz is the author of Rival Kurdish Movements in Turkey: Transforming Ethnic Conflict (Amsterdam University Press, 2016).
Amsterdam University Press, 2016>)
2015“Ideology in Action: Symbolic Localization of Kurdistan Workers' Party in Turkey” Sociological Inquiry 85: 1-27.
2014“Toward a Sociology of Global Islam: Revisiting Muslim Ethnicities in the West” Sociological Forum 29: 756-63.
2012“‘Sold Out to the Enemy’: Emerging Symbolic Boundaries in Kurdish Politics and Strategic Uses of Labeling Treason.” European Journal of Turkish Studies vol. 14
2012 “‘Thou Shall Not Protest!’: Multi-Institutional Politics, Strategic Non-Confrontation and Islamic Mobilizations in Turkey” Research in Social Movements, Conflict, and Change 34: 63-91.
2009 “Over the Bodies of the T-Girls: The Headscarf Ban as a Secular Effort to Monopolize Islam in Turkey.” Middle East Critique 18 (3): 231-49.
2009 “Between Sacred Codes and Secular Consumer Society: The Practice of Headscarf Adoption among American College Girls.” Journal of Muslim Minority Affairs 29 (3): 387-99.
2009 “Union Organizing Effort and Success in the U.S., 1948-2004.” Research in Social Stratification and Mobility 27 (1): 13-34.
Book Chapters & Contributions to Edited Volumes
2013 “Revitalization of Kurdish Islamic Sphere and Revival of Hizbullah in Turkey.” In Fevzi Bilgin and Ali Sarihan, eds., Understanding Turkey’s Kurdish Question. Lanham, MD: Lexington Books.
2009 (with<>Bandana Purkayastha) “From Gandhi to Gülen: The Habitus of Non-aggressive Action.” Pp. 166-78 in Islam in the Age of Global Challenges: Alternative Perspectives of the Gülen Movement, edited by H. Ali Yurtsever, Somerset, NJ: Tughra Books.
- Reprinted in Turkish pp. 79-98 in Şiddetsiz Aksiyon Istanbul: Nil (2011).
- Reprinted in The Muslim World and Politics in Transition: Creative Contributions of the Gülen Movement edited by Greg Barton, Ihsan Yilmaz and Paul Weller. London: Continuum (2013).
2008 “Identity Politics.” Encyclopedia of Social Problems, ed. Vincent N. Parrillo, Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
2008 “Collective Consciousness.” Encyclopedia of Social Problems, ed. Vincent N. Parrillo, Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
2007 “Performing Moral Opposition: Musings on the Strategy and Identity in the Gülen movement,<>” Pp. 104-17 in Muslim World in Transition: Contributions of the Gülen Movement<>, ed. İhsan Yılmaz, London: Leeds Metropolitan University Press.
Commentary & Book Reviews
2014 Modest Fashion: Styling Bodies, Mediating Faith by Reina Lewis, Ed., Journal of Contemporary Religion 29: 360-62.
2013 Muslim Reformers in Iran and Turkey: The Paradox of Moderation by Güneş Murat Tezcür, Contemporary Islam 7: 237-39.
2013 Taking a Step towards the Arab Street: Review of Tariq Ramadan's Islam and the Arab Awakening (Oxford Univ Press, 2012) Mobilizing Ideas May 2013
2010 Democracy in Modern Iran: Islam, Culture, and Political Change by Ali Mirsepassi, Mobilization 15(4): 538-39.
2009 Why the French Don’t Like Headscarves: Islam, the State, and Public Space (by John R. Bowen) and The Politics of the Veil (by Joan Wallach Scott), British Journal of Sociology 60 (4): 836-38.
2008 “Which‘Right’ Islam? A Commentary on Etzioni and Bergesen,” Sociological Forum 23 (4): 846.
2005 The Road to Al-Qaeda: The Story of Bin Laden’s Right-Hand Man by Montasser Al-Zayyat, Journal of Muslim Minority Affairs 25 (3): 465-67.
2002 Science and the Open Society: The Future of Karl Popper's Philosophy by Mark Amadeus Notturno, Millennium: Journal of International Studies 31 (1): 185-87.
2001 Unipolarity and the Middle East by Birthe Hansen, Millennium: Journal of International Studies 30 (2): 430-31.
Brookings Institution, June 7, 2016
Syria Deeply, February 26, 2016
Rudaw, December 5, 2015
Rethink Analysis, November 2, 2015
What is at Stake for US in Kurdistan's Political Turmoil? Rudaw, October 20, 2015
War on the Rocks, August 27, 2015
Vocal International, August 2, 2015
Rudaw, July 27, 2015
Hurriyet Daily News, June 20, 2015
Informed Comment, June 6, 2015
The Daily Star, Mar 3, 2015
Sada, Feb 24, 2015
Today's Zaman, Jan 5, 2015
Informed Comment, Dec 17, 2014
Rudaw, Nov 16, 2014
Rudaw, Oct 24, 2014
Informed Comment, Oct 19, 2014
Rudaw, September 26, 2014
Informed Comment, August 20, 2014