Chief Information Security Officer
- Cathy works in the Office of Information Technology, developing, implementing and maintaining the University's information technology security program to safeguard new and existing technologies and services.She contributes to university-wide information security awareness and education programs and is responsible for the development of information security policies, procedures and security standards. She works with internal and external auditors to ensure AU's information technology resources are compliant with applicable, policies, laws, and regulations and coordinates the investigation of technology security incidents.
DegreesMEd, George Mason University
Favorite Spot on Campus:Ilene Zatkin-Butler Garden
Partnerships & Affiliations
Co-Chair HEISC Governance, Risk & Compliance group
Director for Scholarship & Campus Relations
Scholarly, Creative & Professional Activities
Technology Managers Forum's Best Practices in Information Security, 2009
- Certified in Risk and Information Systems Controls, 2010
- Graduate, FRYE Leadership Institute, 2009
- Certified in the Governance of Enterprise IT, 2009
- Certified Information Systems Auditor, 2006
- Certified Information Systems Security Professional, 2005
- Alternative IT Sourcing: A Discussion of Privacy, Security, and Risk, EDUCAUSE Review 2011
- Business Continuity Planning. University Business, 2006.
- Postioning Your IT Security Program as an Enterprise Resource, EDUCAUSE, 2013
- What's Your Number? Measuring the Maturity of Your Security Program, EDUCAUSE, 2013.
- Enterprise Risk Management in Higher Education: Implications for Enterprise IT, EDUCAUSE, 2013.
- Current Cyber Threat Landscape, eTrade Seminar Series, 2013.
- Cybersecurity: Protecting Your Campus, American Council on Education Webinar Series, 2013.
- Partnering to Achieve PCI Compliance, UB Tech Conference, 2012.
- Information Technology Trends and Implications for Privacy, Security, and Risk Managment, URMIA Annual Conference, 2011.
- Achieving Cost-Effective PCI Compliance, EDUCAUSE Enterprise IT, 2011.
- Raising Awareness of Website Vulnerability: How to Protect Your University's Site from Threats, EDUCAUSE, 2011
- Don't be Tomorrow's Headlines...Effective Measures for Protecting PII Data, Federal Student Aid Annual Conference, 2010.
- Protecting Data in the Cloud: What's In Your Security Toolkit? TechForum's Cloud Security Forum, 2010.
- Collaborative Cyber Security Response. EDUCAUSE, 2009.
- Our Blended Society. Keynote, Fairfax County Government Security Seminar, 2009.
AU News and Achievements
AU Receives Honorable Mention for Best Practices in Information Security
American University’s Information Security group was recently a joint recipient of the Technology Managers ...