Tuition and costs are dependent on partner school status. We encourage you to always consult with your home school for your tuition rate and policies regarding off-campus study.
Our goal is to have a tuition rate in a range close to your home school’s tuition rate for a semester of study. Therefore, you will notice that we offer a three tiered tuition pricing model that aligns with the tuition of our many partner schools.
- American University Tuition Rate per Semester 12-17.5 AU credits
- For International Partner Students - Washington Semester Non-Credit Certificate Program
Partner School Tuition Tiers
- Tier 1
- $18,401 for schools with tuition rates below 75% of current AU tuition.
- Tier 2
- Home School rate for schools with home school tuition rates greater than $18,401 but less than prevailing AU undergraduate tuition.
- Tier 3
- AU prevailing undergraduate tuition rate of $24,535 for schools with home school tuition rates at or greater than AU's rate.
Required Student Fees
- Technology Fee
- Student Activity Fee
- Sports Center Fee
- U*Pass (University Pass) Transportation Program1
1Flat fee for unlimited Metrorail and Metrobus transportation during Fall 2019 or Spring 2020 semester (estimated savings of over $500 per semester for Washington Semester students) for travel to/from internship sites, guest speakers, site visits, classes on campus, and recreational activities.
On-Campus Housing Options
- On-Campus Housing - Traditional-style (Single Occupancy) Room with community bathroom2
- On-Campus Housing - Traditional-style (Double Occupancy) Room with community bathroom
2Priority for single occupancy housing is given to students approved for disability-related accommodations by American University's Academic Support & Access Center. Please contact the Academic Support & Access Center for more information.
On-Campus Meal Plan Options
- All Access 7 Days + 5 Meal Exchanges per week (with $100 EagleBuck$)
- 175 Block (with $400 EagleBuck$)
- 100 Block (with $400 EagleBuck$)3
- 50 Block (with $100 EagleBuck$)4
3Students living on campus are required to enroll in a minimum of 100-block meal plan; students living in university-affiliated apartments, located off campus, and off-campus residents are not required to purchase a university meal plan.
4The 50-block meal plan is only available for students living in university-affiliated off-campus apartments or off-campus on their own.
Health Insurance Costs
- AU Health Insurance - Fall coverage only
Must be waived prior to deadline to avoid fee
Effective August 1 - December 31, 2019, for students who submit the Enrollment Form; effective September through December 31, 2019, for auto-enrolled students
- AU Health Insurance - Spring & Summer coverage
Effective January 1 - July 31, 2020
- AU Health Insurance - Full year coverage
Effective August 1, 2019 - July 31, 2020 for students who enroll
Health insurance is required for all students at AU. The Health Insurance Waiver and the Enrollment Form will become available after the student receives the registration confirmation email. Students with private health insurance through a U.S. carrier may waive the AU health insurance to avoid charges; students should submit the waiver prior to the start of the semester to have the charge removed. Students who will not waive the health insurance should submit the Enrollment Form. Students who do not submit the waiver nor the Enrollment Form will be auto-enrolled in the plan, which will become active approximately four weeks after the start of the respective semester.
Students on an AU-sponsored J-1 visa should please note the following additional requirements to waive the AU health insurance coverage:
- All international students must have health insurance plans with a U.S. carrier who meets the minimum coverage requirements. International students will not be permitted to waive the AU health insurance with insurance from their home country.
- Travel insurance is not eligible for a waiver.
- International students must have unlimited medical evacuation benefits and unlimited repatriation benefits.
Estimated Tuition Refund Insurance
Tuition refund insurance is optional but recommended. If you will pay tuition directly to AU and are interested in purchasing tuition refund insurance, please review the information for AU-affiliated insurance. However, if you will pay tuition directly to your home school, we recommend that you contact your home school regarding their tuition insurance plan if offered before purchasing AU-affiliated tuition refund insurance. Finalized 2019-2020 tuition refund insurance information will be available in late May 2019.
Other Estimated Costs to be Considered
- Student Commuter/ Resident General Parking (semester rate)
- Personal expenses including medical not covered by health insurance and travel expenses to and from Washington, D.C.
- 1 AU credit: Professional Development in DC
- 3 AU credits: Colloquium (at $1,587 per credit)
- 1 credit Internship Course + 3 credit Elective Course (4 AU credits)
- 3 credit Colloquium + 3 credit Elective Course (6 AU credits)
Housing Options & Costs
- $322.00 ($46/day)
- Double occupancy (per person/per week)
- $392.00 ($56/day)
- Single occupancy* (per person/per week)
Actual costs per student will be based on individual move-in/move-out dates.
*Single occupancy housing is assigned only to students approved for disability-related accommodations by American University's Academic Support & Access Center. Learn more about the process for requesting disability-related housing accommodations.
Meal plan options & costs
- $1,249.00 ($11.99/meal)
- 100 Block Plan + $50 EagleBuck$
- $969.00 ($12.25/meal)
- 75 Block Plan + $50 EagleBuck$
- $649.00 ($12.48/meal)
- 50 Block Plan + $25 EagleBuck$
- $349.00 ($12.96/meal)
- 25 Block Plan + $25 EagleBuck$
A la Carte Rates (tax not included):
Rates are per student and subject to change. Unused meals and/or EagleBuck$ can be refunded up to 7 days after check-in date. No cancellation or refund of meal plans after the seventh day. Unused EagleBuck$ may be refunded at the end of the summer by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- AU Health Insurance - Summer only
Student covered by another plan are not required to enroll in the AU health insurance plan.
Other Estimated Costs to be Considered
- Weekly transportation
- $221/summer term or $112/7 weeks
- AU Parking permit
AU parking permit may be paid for using cash, check, or credit only; it cannot be billed to student account.
Personal expenses and travel expenses to and from Washington, DC, including medical not covered by health insurance vary.
Scholarships are available. For priority consideration, complete your admissions application first. If you've already been admitted to the program, visit the Scholarships page for more information on how to obtain a scholarship.