Entries are closed! Check out all of our entries on Facebook and look out for our winner announcements.
Show off your living style in our American University room design challenge, the Best Nest Contest, for a chance at glory and prizes! We are looking for the most creative and unique rooms on AU's campus that represent how you live, your creativity, and AU spirit.
- Entry submissions: Tuesday, October 3 - Monday, October 16 at 12 p.m.
- Online voting: Tuesday, October 17 - Monday, October 23 at 5 p.m.
- Winners announced: Thursday, November 2
How To Enter
- Decorate and set up your room with your roommate(s). We encourage you to be creative, pay attention to detail, and make sure the room expresses you and your AU spirit. Remember, we'll be judging on your creativity, not how much you own. Make sure no people are in your photos, let your space shine!
- Submit your three (3) best bedroom photos and a short story (50 words or fewer) for your room through our Google form.
- Make sure to LIKE and FOLLOW Housing & Residence Life @HomeAtAU on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
- Watch for your room album to post, share it with all of your AU friends and family encouraging them to follow HRL and like your album to help you in pursuit of the ultimate Best Nest grand prize.
- Best Nest (People's Choice Award) - Votes or "Likes" collected during the online voting window will determine which room is the people's choice so share your room post with your friends, make a new friend and ask them to vote. The room post with the most Facebook album likes will be best in show and take home all of the glory!
- Clawed's Crib (AU Spirit) - Your room is all things American University. Decorations and accents, such as bedding, wall decorations, and desk supplies, are in shades of red and blue, the AU insignia is always a plus. You also get inspiration from all that AU stands for, whether it's the city we're in or the values that we hold.
- Space Saver Award - Space is a hot commodity and you are an expert at organization. You take advantage of the furniture in your room to organize all of your belongings, and you are creative about it.
- Green is the new Red and Blue (Sustainability Award) - How do you and your roommate(s) make efforts to be more sustainable in your room? Show us your DIY decorations, the reusable items you use, and your efforts to buy local.
- WONKing Out (sponsored by AU's Residence Hall Association) - Your space isn't just a place to lounge. You've created a great study space to be your academic best and help elevate your WONK status.
- Priority Selection for the 2018-2019 Returning Student Room Selection Process
- Home Away from Home Gift Baskets
- AU Swag Grab Bags
- Prize to be announced, sponsored by AURHA!
Rules & Eligibility
- All entries must be submitted by the deadline, Friday, October 13 at 12 p.m. to be posted for voting.
- Entrants must "like" or follow Housing & Residence Life's Facebook page before their entries will be posted.
- Only one entry per room (roommates who share a room cannot separately apply). All roommates must agree to enter the contest.
- Only bedroom photos are eligible for submission. Students in Cassell, Nebraska, and the Berkshire Apartments should not submit photos capturing their living room and/or kitchen spaces.
- Rooms must comply with health and safety expectations as written in the Student Conduct Code and Housing & Dining License Agreement, including having no prohibited items.
- By entering the contest, participants agree to the use of their photographs and names to be used by American University in electronic and print publications, social media, promotional videos, and other multimedia.
- Finalist will be contacted by Housing & Residence Life regarding a brief professional photo shoot of their room and the occupants for announcement and publication.
- Photographs and entries must be 100% original content. Photographs that are stolen or copied material will be disqualified
- Entries can be deleted without question at the discretion of Housing & Residence Life staff, even if the content isn't in direct violation of AU policy. We reserve the right to disqualify any person tampering with the operation of the promotion or otherwise violating these rules.