Communication: Producing Film, Television, and Video (MA)
Offered by the School of Communication.
Admission to the Program
This weekend graduate program is designed for working adults who want to pursue careers in producing for film, video, television, and multimedia. Student cohort groups follow a planned curriculum, taking one course every seven weeks (two courses each semester) on Saturdays for a total of 10 courses. The 30-credit hour program is completed in 21 months. Previous academic or professional experience in film or video is not required, but all applicants must demonstrate a serious commitment to a career in this field.
Applicants must meet the minimum university requirements for graduate study. Admission to the program requires a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with at least a 3.00 (on a 4.00 scale) grade point average in last 60 hours of undergraduate coursework. International students whose first language is not English should take the TOEFL examination to demonstrate proficiency in written as well as spoken English.
Official transcripts, two letters of recommendation, and a 1,000-word essay on the applicant's commitment to pursuing graduate study in the program are submitted with the application. The application deadline is April 1.
- 30 credit hours of approved graduate work
- Continuous enrollment
- A grade point average of 3.00 maintained during all work toward the degree
- COMM-570 Film and Digital Media Institute (1-6) 1-6 (3 credit hours required) (topics)
- COMM-601 Communication Law (3) 3
- COMM-659 International Film and TV Markets (3) 3
- COMM-660 Developing Fiction Productions (3) 3
- COMM-661 Developing Nonfiction Productions (3) 3
- COMM-662 Production Planning and Management (3) 3
- COMM-671 Media Enterprise I: Establishing the Enterprise (3) 3 (with grade of B or better)
- COMM-674 The Business of Television (3) 3
- COMM-682 Writing for Visual Media (3) 3
- COMM-702 Master's Portfolio Capstone (1-6) 1-6 (3 credit hours required) (with grade of B or better)